The Department of Accounting was established in September 1991 as an independent department of the Faculty of Economics, VSB – Technical University of Ostrava. In September 2016, the department was renamed the Department of Accounting and Taxes. Teaching at the Department of Accounting and Taxes is provided by highly qualified experts who deals with accounting and taxation issues in the long term. The Department of Accounting and Taxes is also a regular organizer of its own conferences and workshops that enable the exchange of experience and knowledge with experts from various universities, institutions, offices and companies.
Activities of the department
- the department regularly organizes professional excursions for students and teachers to interesting companies in the region, where not only accounting and tax problems are discussed with the company's management. Cooperation in various areas is also established this way,
- teachers of the department are members of important professional organizations (eg the Association of Experts and Appraisers of the Czech Republic, the Czech Economic Society, IFA, the International Institute of Public Finance, etc.),
- teachers of the department also act as auditors, forensic experts, insolvency administrators, and accounting advisers,
- teachers of the department participate not only in many foreign conferences and exchange study programs, but the department also organizes its seminars and workshops,
- the department supports students' trips abroad within Erasmus + study programs, etc.,
- the department cooperates with many companies and organizations in organizing professional events, workshops and seminars for students within the teaching and in providing professional internships for students of the program (eg Deloitte, EY, KPMG, PWC, Okin BPS, Student Agency, etc.)
The Department of Accounting and Taxes also provided students with accreditation for selected subjects of the Accounting and Taxes program taught at the faculty within the internationally recognized qualification ACCA (The Association of Chartered Certified Accountants) and also within the Certification System and Education of Accountants in the Czech Republic.